Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Egg Drop Results!

Our Egg Drop Competition Day was on Friday, September 24.
Competition day was a huge success for my partner, Jonathan and I. Our egg survived the drop of five meters, and also the drop of fifteen metres off the school roof.

Here is some data for our egg drop container:

Mass:
Our container was the third lightest in the class.
Mass of egg: 56.2g
Mass of container: 113.4g
Combined mass: 169.6g

Distance of Fall:
Gym: 5m
Roof: 15m

Time of Fall:
Gym: 1.07s
Roof: 2.06s

Condition:
Gym: Unbroken
Roof: Unbroken

Dimensions:
Our box was 8 inches by 6 inches.

Earned Egg Points:
2000/113.4g(mass of container) x 10(earned egg points: 10(unbroken) 5(cracked) 1/2(unbroken)
= 176.4

Analysis:
1. I think that the most limiting restriction during this competition was the dimensions the container had to fit. If the container could have been larger than there would have been a better chance of the egg not breaking. We could have added more padding if the box was bigger which would have ensured that the egg would not drop. Also, it could have been extremely helpful to add a parachute on the top of our container. If we could have added a parachute then it would have made our container fall slower and have a softer landing, which would have helped very much.

2. I feel that the most effective part of our design was adding all the pillow stuffing inside the box. By adding all this pillow stuffing it created a lot of padding around the egg and since pillow stuffing is so light, it didn't add much mass to our container. I believe the lest effective part of our design was the box itself. We could have got a little more creative and found something that would make our container less unique, and with a lighter mass. I still thought our box was a good idea, but it could have been better if we would have found something a little lighter.

3. If we had to adapt a container to safely secure two eggs, i would just add more pillow stuffing and styrofoam inside the box. If we would have added more pillow stuffing inside the box it would stop the two eggs from hitting each other so they could have both landed safely.

Overall, this was a pretty cool project. We got to have fun while creating our container but also got to learn more about our current unit: forces. I am very happy with the outcome of our container and had a great time creating it with Jonathan.

Here is a video of our container being dropped from 5 meters in our school gym.

6 comments:

  1. The colours that you chose are very happy. I like them. I also like that you put a video. It would have been better if you had put some pictures on there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paige, first things first is wow very colourful, I like it. Secondly very nice setup. The one things that catches my eye is the coulour of the post backgrounds clashes with the colour of the font, I think it would benefit you to make it a little bit easier to read the posts on the blog, but overall very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a few things that i really liked about your blog:
    -It is very colorful and eye catching
    -All the colors go together well
    Here is something that you could consider to be changed:
    The font kind of clashes with the background making it hard to read.

    Good Job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your colour choices. I also like how the background colour doesn't take away from the post column. One thing to consider would be changing the colour of the writing in the post column its hard to read on the light background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like:
    The background is awesome. The rest of the colours used fit that colour scheme too. Very eye-catching and pretty. :)

    It's good that you have the video. It adds another visual element to the blog.

    Improve: Adjust the width of your left column, so the widgets are squished. That can be done in the Template Designer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Paige,
    I like the width of your sidebar, it's not to narrow, but not really wide either. I think this gives your blog a more sophisticated look. I also like how you placed your search engine away from the other gadgets so it's easy to locate. One more thing that I like is the orangeish background of your posts, because it goes nicely with your bubble background. One thing I would suggest changing is the font of your posts so it will be easier to see. Overall I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete